What am I doing?
When you get old as I am, you look back at your life and recall some of the defining moments. June 2006 was one of those times and changed my life forever. Susan was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast cancer. Ten months later, breast cancer killed my best friend and wife of 42 years. I didn't lose her, she did not pass. She was killed by breast cancer. Since then I will do whatever I can to ensure no one else has to die from this disease. I've seen this dreadful disease up close and I want to make a difference in the fight against this killer.
I started volunteering at Susan G Komen and I have learned a lot about this disease. If detected early and with the proper treatment, the chances of survival goes up. Early detection is achieved through screenings and mammograms. Knowledge and education is the key to early detection.Here in the Tidewater area serviced by Komen, there will be 24 new cases diagnosed every week and 5 will die. Think about your relatives, your sisters, mothers, daughters, aunts, etc.. Oh don't forget the men, they get breast cancer too. Add them up and the bigger the number , the greater the chance that you will probably be touched by breast cancer.
This will be my tenth walk in Tidewater and I have done several other 5 k's. I have also participated in three 60 mile - 3 day walks and will be walking in my fourth this August. I walk to honor Susan's memory and to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure in Tidewater/Southeast Virginia. Remember that 75% of the money raised her stays here to provide services and education in our community, while the remaining 25% goes directly to research.
Please join me in this quest to find a cure by joining Team Susan or by making a tax deductible donation today.
You may donate online with your credit card by clicking the “Donate” button at the top of this page. Your support helps us get another step closer to a world without breast cancer.
What does Komen do?
For the past 25 years, Komen for the Cure has played a critical role in every major advance in the fight against breast cancer – transforming how the world talks about and treats this disease, and helping to turn millions of breast cancer patients into breast cancer survivors. Over the next 25 years, an estimated 25 million women around the world will be diagnosed with breast cancer if we don’t find a cure. Komen will not stop until a cure is found and delivered. That’s our promise.
We Will Find the Cure!